Until lately we’ve been pretty happy with our ISP, Dreamhost. But a few months ago, after several during-the-presentation meltdowns of the Registry we determined that we needed to move to a higher-performing, more reliable server. We could have done the easy thing and moved to a Virtual Private Server at Dreamhost. Instead, we setup an entirely fresh server in the Rackspace Cloud and very carefully, with much testing created a fresh instance of the Registry with greatly expanded data capacity, some updated code, and considerably more speed. So far, so good.
We had a self-imposed deadline of several weeks before the DCMI 2011 Conference in The Hague and completely missed it. This left us with the choice of waiting until after the conference to redirect our domain to the new server or taking the risky step of switching domains just a few days before the conference. Of course, we didn’t wait. At which point we discovered that we couldn’t simply redirect our main domain to the new server but needed to redirect the subdomains as well, breaking our wiki and blog. Which we had a great deal of difficulty restoring while on the road to DCMI.
But everything’s back to normal now, and even updated. We now resume our regular programming.